Super Healthy Foods to Help You Gain Muscle
While some are constantly trying to lose excessive fat, others find it tough to gain weight. Ironically enough, junk food won’t work for those who can’t gain weight. The solution is simple — eat food rich in healthy fats and protein, like milk, avocados, nuts or salmon. Eating the products on our list as a snack, garnish, or a main dish will help you gain weight. And if you combine them with regular exercise, they will help you to build muscle.
1. Milk for strong bones and energy
Milk is full of proteins, carbs, and fats, as well as calcium and other vitamins, casein, and whey proteins. Studies prove that after a workout, drinking skim milk helps to build muscle more effectively than a soy-protein beverage. If you don’t train, just drink about one or 2 glasses of milk with your meal.
2. Homemade protein smoothie as a healthy alternative to a store-bought smoothie
There are so many types of smoothies, some can be used to lose weight, some to maintain weight,and others to gain it. It’s better to make your own homemade smoothie, since store bought ones usually contain way too much sugar and almost no nutrients. All you need is the right recipe and good ingredients. For example:
- Chocolate banana nut shake: combine 2 cups (470 ml) of milk with 1 banana, 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein, and 1 tbsp (15 ml) of peanut or another nut butter.
- Vanilla berry shake: combine 2 cups (470 ml) of milk with 1 cup (237 ml) of fresh or frozen mixed berries to your taste, ice, 1 cup (237 ml) of high-protein natural yogurt, and 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein.
3. Avocados for maintaining healthy muscles
Avocados are the king of healthy fats. This unique food is incredibly nutritious and has powerful health benefits. It doesn’t contain a lot of calories, but remains one of the best foods to use to gain weight. One avocado is loaded with 332 calories, 29 grams of fat, and 17 grams of fiber. It is also rich in vitamins (like C, E, and K) and deserves to be added to your salads and sandwiches if you are on a journey to gain weight.
4. Red meats for muscle tissue building
Red meat has everything needed for gaining weight and muscle-building. First, it contains leucine and creatine, nutrients for muscle protein stimulation and new muscle tissue building. Second, it contains both protein and fat, which help you to gain weight. Important: Overconsumption is unhealthy, though leaner cuts are healthier for the heart than fattier cuts.
5. Beef jerky as on-the-go snack
Beef jerky is a protein option for when you are busy and on the go. Most of the fat has been removed while making jerky, which means that you’re only getting calories from the protein in the meat. Make sure that you consume good quality naturally prepared jerky, with no preservatives and minimal salt content.